Monday, July 27, 2009

Reading in bed

Usually when I'm sick I don't read a lot but this past few weeks I managed to read while using my nebulizer and in bed while I wasn't sleeping. I read my first thriller after a long time. I forget just how graphic the violence can be. The story wasn't bad but it was pretty distressing. "Sworn to Silence" by Linda Castillo was an interesting premise - an Amish community in Ohio is under siege from a serial killer. A formerly Amish woman is the sheriff with a secret from her past that is partially hampering her investigation. The killer is targeting young women and is very sadistic in his methods. I found this quite disturbing. I like the sheriff and the damaged agent sent to help her but could have done without the grisly details.

So I decided I needed a change of pace and read "Missing Ink" a new paperback series involving a tattoo parlor in Las Vegas by Karen E. Olson. It was kind of fun to read about a place I'm not planning on visiting - nor am I contemplating a tattoo!Brett Kavanaugh is the owner of Painted Lady Tattoo parlor. A young woman comes in for a devotion tattoo with her fiance's name and then doesn't show up for her appointment. Soon people are showing up looking for her - including the police - like Brett's brother, Tim. Next thing she knows,Brett is being pursued by thugs and good looking hotel managers.

Next I read "Skinwalker" by Faith Hunter, a new series about Jane Yellowrock, a Cheyenne who can change into various animals, a talent she uses to hunt rogue vampires. Jane is in New Orleans to take out a rogue vampire that's preying on humans and vampires alike. She's been hired by the Vampire Council of New Orleans.She shares her body with Beast - a mountain lion who has very definite opinions of her own. Jane is also missing some memories of her early years.

This weekend I read "Forget Me Knot" by Sue Margolis - a British chick lit novel about Abby Crompton and her florist shop, Fabulous Flowers. Abby's fiance turns out to be gay - but there's a nicer guy waiting in the wings - isn't there always? My complaint on this one was the rather graphic sexual scenes.

Then I read the sublime "Swan for the Money" by Donna Andrews. She doesn't disappoint. I seem to be the only person who didn't know about fainting goats - my co-workers and my sister knew, but not me. What gives? My education is lacking - but not any more. Now I know about them, Belties - black cows with white middles and the craziness of rose growers and their exhibitions. Who knew? Meg Langslow has been coerced by her mother into organizing the local rose competition. Her husband, Michael, is on his way to NYC to see a former student's play on Millard Filmore,so she's pretty much on her own - but not without family - and lordy, what a family. The lady who owns the estate hosting the show is a wealthy bitch who wants to color coordinate everything around her to black, white and gray. Someone has stolen her Maltese, Mimi, and Meg hopes that someone who loves the dog got her - woman after my own heart.

No comments: