Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Not in the mood

The library system is losing 55 people in September and I'm having a hard time finding anything I really want to read. I've got several books going but this is one of those times when I don't like anything I've got - and they are all books I've looked forward to reading. The last time this happened my dad and a couple of good friends died - that's what it feels like now. Everyone is in hospice.

OK, I did find an amusing section in the Fred Vargas book - "Have Mercy on Us All".
French though this may be, a woman still gets upset when she catches her man having sex with another woman, even recognizing the moves he makes. Their mutual friend tells her that God had had a bad night when he was making the boyfriend and hadn't recovered "from His night on the tiles" so he didn't get the mixture right. God gave him intuition, gentleness, beauty and ease. The Devil contributed indifference, gentleness, beauty and ease. This mystery was about someone attempting to spread the bubonic plague.

The other book I finished was "Civil Twilight" by Susan Dunlap. I really liked the first book dealing with Darcy Lott, the stunt woman at the Zen retreat. This third book was annoying because I felt like Darcy was solving an old crime - it just took her to figure it all out - everyone else was an idiot. But I stayed to the end.

I also read "Mr. and Miss Anonymous" by Fern Michaels - very far fetched, a lot name dropping of clothing labels and designers, everyone is rich and smart, yada, yada, yada. Oh, well.

No comments: