Friday, October 30, 2009

Chinese Whispers by Peter May

At one point in my reading of this book I told my mother and my sister that I had to quit reading for awhile because I was getting too nervous about the characters. It's not the murders that get to me, it's the people I've come to know and love finding their world crumbling around them. Li Yan being fired from his position, Margaret being faced with doportation and not being able to take their son with her, funds being cut off - this was getting all too real for me. Bad enought that someone in Beijing is reproducing the killings done by Jack the Ripper but that friends are being killed and that can't stop him. I just wish Mr. May had written just a little more so that I know what happened after the last page - there's a baby with no parents! What about jobs, visas? Quickly, Please!

No comments: