Monday, September 15, 2008

Werewolves R Us

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs
Of course, now that I've read this book, I discover that the set-up or start to the story is actually in an anthology On the Prowl. I just keep adding more titles to my "need to read" list. This is set in the same universe as Briggs' Mercy Thompson series which I have read and enjoyed.
Anna is a relatively new werewolf from Chicago. She has been kept subservient and brutalized by the Chicago pack until Bran, the Morrok, chief werewolf in the States, sends his son, Charles, to deal with this bad pack. Charles recognizes Anna as a rare type of werewolf, an Omega. This means she has the ability to calm a pack. When Charles returns to Montana, he takes Anna with him as his mate.
Unfortunately, there is a rogue wolf killing in the surrounding mountains and it will be up to Charles, who is still healing from being shot with silver bullets, and Anna, who doesn't know the mountains, to find and bring this rogue back to the pack.
There is some satisfactory romance and a really different take on werewolves and their world. I don't know if I enjoyed this one as much as the Mercy Thompson series but perhaps if I'd read the short story first it would have helped.
Paperback 2008
Sharon 9/18/08

No comments: