Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Out of my comfort zone

The Samaritan's Secret by Matt Beynon Rees is set in Palestine. The protagonist is Omar Yussef, a school teacher from Bethlehem who has come to Nablus for the wedding of a friend, a police officer. First off, they go to investigate the theft of a scroll taken from the Samaritan temple. I had no idea that there were Samaritans left in the world - there are about 713 left. The scroll has been returned but now a murder comes to light. A young Samaritan man who had been Yassar Arafat's comptroller. He's dead and there are millions of dollars of government money missing. The World Bank wants to locate it or aid to Palestinians will be cut off.
I found all of the connections to be very convoluted. I wasn't sure who was beating up Omar's friend and who was a friend. I wasn't terribly convinced that an outsider could just ask people questions and they'd freely give me personal information. The people seemed to distrust strangers so I just didn't see this happening. An interesting mystery but I don't think I'll read another one.

No comments: