Thursday, February 12, 2009

Snakehead by Peter May

I really enjoy Peter May's China Thrillers but can't get into his Enzo MacLeod books. I liked the first one but after that I just didn't care. Now the China ones - oh they can keep me up nights! They stay with me for weeks after reading them, thinking about all of the awful things governments and large companies do for money.Genetic manipulation of plants, viruses, body parts. The list seems to go on and on.
Snakehead is about human trafficking and what a dreadful business that is. How people can be so inured to the suffering of their fellow human beings seems to appear a lot in the books I've been reading and listening to this year. So far this is the second reference to a refrigerator truck that malfunctioned and caused multiple deaths.
This truck disaster brings medical examiner Margaret Campbell together with her former Chinese lover, Li Yan. The Beijing detective has been assigned to the Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C. They will be joined in their quest by INS agent Michael Hrycyk, a man who is definitely not PC. He hates the Chinese and doesn't hesitate to say he does.
When it is discovered that the bodies have all been injected and then discover that what they had been injected with is a manufactured form of the Spanish flu, the push is on to find the trigger and the madman behind this dreadful problem.
At one point I was reading so fast my eyes were popping. I think I stopped breathing at one point. Great book.

No comments: