Monday, April 20, 2009

Adversary by Michael Walters

I read this author's "The Shadow Walker" last year and enjoyed the Mongolian location. I'm sorry to discover that everywhere is being so Westernized, even Ulan Baatar. I mean, I think Outer Mongolia and I think of yaks and round tents and people living wild - but apparently cell phones are everywhere, as are lattes and burgers.
The trial of a major crime lord has fallen apart when someone intimates that certain evidence has been forged - it had, but only police officers should have had any knowledge of what and where. Muunokhoi, the crime lord, seems to have connections in very high places. Nergui, the former head of the Serious Crime Team, has been assigned to look internally to discover who's in the crime lord's pay. The pace is slow for half of the book but really picks up at the end. Leaves me hoping for another book from this author.

No comments: