Wednesday, April 8, 2009

More light reading

I enjoyed Rosemary Harris's Pushing up Daisies and her Big Dirt Nap wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I kind of wanted to smack Paula Holiday for being so stupid and her friend, Lucy, is an idiot who doesn't deserve to have anyone come to her rescue. Lucy has enticed Paula to join her at the Titans Hotel for some spa-like relaxation and to view the rare corpse flower blooming - the thing stinks like a long dead body! Apparently people are willing to view and smell these things! Instead of a relaxing weekend, Paula finds herself stood up by Lucy and hit on by a guy in the hotel bar. The fun really starts when she's hauled out of bed in the early hours to identify the body found by the dumpsters - the guy who she was talking to in the bar. Of course, she ends up trying to solve the murder and locate her goofy friend. I guess I was in the mood for silly women because I finished the book.
The second book was by Ann Aguirre Blue Diablo. I was disappointed that it wasn't a Jax novel but this one gripped me within the first few pages - a good thing, since my motel was hosting a sorority prom and the participants were awfully noisy about 2:00 am. This kept me awake and content for an hour.
Corine Solomon has a "gift" for holding objects and knowing the history of the person who last held the object. She has hidden herself in Mexico City after fleeing from her lover, Chance. She felt he only valued her for her gift. Now he's found her and asks for her help in finding his mother Min. This is something she is willing to do for him. Ann Aguirre has the ability to give her characters real lives and powerful emotions. I care about all of them - except the really bad guys. Look forward to the next book.

1 comment:

Ann Aguirre said...

Thank you so much for these lovely comments on Blue D!