Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Boy Howdy

Dark Horse by Craig Johnson was too short! I keep wanting more from this author and I can't believe that it took me so long to discover him. But, I'm spreading the joy and now my sister is hooked and in turn has gotten her friend in Wyoming hooked.
Walt Longmire is just such a laid back gentleman that I'd love to keep him company. His sense of right and wrong are strong, he and his dog are a great pair and his friend Henry Standing Bear is a gem. In "Dark Horse" Walt has acquired a female prisoner from a neighboring county. She has confessed to killing her husband, but Walt thinks that there is something off. Granted, her husband was a bastard who had set fire to the barn with her horses inside but Walt isn't convinced that she killed him. So he decides to go undercover in the tiny town of Absalom to try and figure out what really happened. This is very near the ranch his parents owned but nearly everybody he knew is gone from there. He makes new friends with a young illegal immigrant woman and her son, as well as the old cowboy who took care of the accused woman's horses. I'm never sure in one of Johnson's book just where things are going or what will be the outcome but it's a wonderful ride getting there.

No comments: