Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Reading and beading the winter away

I seem to be reading a lot of supernatural/paranormal authors these days. I've really enjoyed Devon Monk's books dealing with Allie Beckstrom. Allie is a very powerful witch who's use of power makes her lose her memory - pity, because she's got a very hot male witch she's fallen in love with several times. Ms. Monk has created a very detailed world involving witches, ghosts and evil.
Maria Lima's books involving Keira Kelly have brought me another strong female character who I've been enjoying. Keira's family is a big clan of magical beings who have moved from Texas - where Keira stayed to Canada. Her boy friend is a vampire. I know this all sounds too strange but Ms. Lima has made it work. Her world reminds me a little of the one Tanya Huff created for "Enchantment Emporium"
I just finished Faith Hunter's new Jane Yellowrock novel "Blood Cross" and really enjoyed it. Jane is a skinwalker who can become a mountain lion and has been hired by the vampires of New Orleans to hunt a rogue vampire.
I read the book Ann Aquirre wrote as Ava Gray-"Skin Game" and was sort of put off by the rough sex angle but I liked the characters and after reading the chapter provided of the next book, I admit I'm intrigued.
Tried the new Jasper Fforde book and only made through 100 pages before giving up. The same with the new Peter May - not one of the Chinese series, but a new one set in the online Second Life game. Just not my cup of tea.

No comments: