Monday, March 8, 2010

More reading, beading and now - needlepoint!

I've read Shirley Damsgaard's series on Ophelia Jensen since the beginning. I think I missed one but I tend to fall out of "like" with certain genre every now and then. I enjoy the fact that Ophelia is a small town Iowa librarian and a witch. The new title "The Seventh Witch" is set in a Southern town where her grandmother, Abby, grew up. Some of the people here aren't very nice - like the woman claiming to be a dark witch - just plain nasty. Then there's the issue of Great-Aunt Mary who's about to turn 100. She may be family but she's no sweet old dear. She makes no bones about the fact that she doesn't care for Ophelia. Poor Abby isn't dealing real well with being home amongst her nearest and dearest so in the end, Ophelia must come to the rescue.
Lastly, I read "A Catered Birthday Party" by Isis Crawford about the baking, catering sisters, Libby and Bernie. They've been asked to cater a birthday party for the dog of one of the richest women in town. It becomes clear at the party that the dog's owner is using this party as an excuse to be nasty to all of her "best friends" and her husband. Funny - she's poisoned and no one is too upset about it - except Bernie and Libby who have been forced by the woman in her dying moments to agree to find out who killed her. Some funny lines in this one. Loved the crazy young woman with the hair that went from blue to green to purple to...
Finished my beaded needlecase and started right in on another one. I like this type of work right now and I'm also getting geared up to start on some ornaments. Found several patterns that I haven't done yet, plus some others I want to do and these are just the stringing ones - not the peyote panels by Deb Moffat-Hall.
Then, Kathy had seen some needlepoint patterns at a local quilt store that she thought I might like so, we went out and I bought two patterns and the material to do one of them. I'm enjoying this a lot.

No comments: