Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring is on the way!

The weather has finally started to turn to the warmer side and I think we are all pretty darned happy about that. I had plenty to read and bead and there were even new episodes of my favorite TV shows - life is good.
I like Betty Hechtman's books about the Tarzana Hookers - a crocheting group. This one was set at a resort along the California coast - not a posh place with spa and many eating establishments - more of a rustic lodge type place where they must have expected their guests to be out and about during the day and too tired at night to worry about the lack of amenities. Molly Pink has been put in charge of the bookstore's yearly crafting retreat and consequently there goes the long weekend with her boyfriend. She will be where the buck stops for any and all problems. The first is the fog that is so thick it keeps attendees unable to get to the resort. Then there is the death of the crochet teacher - this is like a locked room mystery! It had to be someone at the resort.
I also was reading another noir mystery at the time - Death by the Book by a young Australian writer, Lenny Bartulin. I read it because of the title and the fact that it dealt with a used bookstore but I didn't realize that it was a noir and I'm not sure, even after finishing it, that I liked it. The owner of the bookstore gets involved with the daughter of a client who is buying all of the books by an obscure poet, who turns out to be his brother - convoluted and confusing.
I wasn't certain at the end if one person hadn't really died or what was going on. Not sure I care, either

No comments: