Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Thing #15

Our directions were to blog about Library 2.0 for this exercise. I liked the idea of allowing patrons to write reviews of the books that they read on our catalog. I'm sure we'd need some sort of filter, given what I've seen on some pages as I've been passing to and from restrooms. This could be like the Amazon site with its reviews. I checked out Writely and 37signals only to discover that Google now has Writely as part of their Google docs. 37signals could bear a further exploration.
I understand about the "long tail" with readalikes and the fact that we offer patrons the ability to "Suggest a Title" for purchase. As the one purchasing the fiction, I know just how popular that link is - particularly for certain Millard patrons and retired library staff! As I process the new fiction I frequently check the holds requests and find that the majority of the requests have been placed through the web. This has been increasing lately and I expect it will continue to do so.

No comments: